Saturday, December 17, 2011

Job Test

Today I went to the Buncombe Co. Communications Center to test for the position of Dispatcher. This is to winnow out those they want to interview later. After a short tour of the comm. center itself, which also includes the Asheville PD and the Fire/ER as well as Bunc. Co., we went into the testing room. First we had a typing test which included typing the same thing three times. The first time, I went so fast I ran out of text so they reset the time to 2 minutes instead of 3 minutes. My wpm was pretty good (65), considering I haven't typed anything sustained in some while.

Then we put on headphones and listened to two fake phone calls, one for a missing child and one armed robbery. We were to type as we listened and try to get all the necessary info. I think I did okay.

They have another test session on Monday and then will decide who they want to interview. They'll call later in the week to set appointments but they won't start until after New Year's. There is one part-time position open, which I told them I'd be interested in (nobody else was). The money's good (about $12/hr) and the center is about 5mi from here, out near Erwin H.S. Wish me luck.

Sad news: Etta James is near death from leukemia. A great lady and a great blues/jazz singer. She'll be missed.

Hope everyone has as nice a holiday/new year as possible.

1 comment:

Linda and Linda said...

Sounds like that would be a perfect job for you. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you !