Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Job Hunt

is ongoing. I've sent many applications/resumes out for jobs found online. Yesterday, I was going to hit four different agencies in person. Things got a little squirrelly, though.

I first drove across town to Walmart as they have a couple of things I prefer. Parked and then realized I'd forgotten my wallet. Drove all the way back and got it, then drove all the way back to WM only because I was going on Tunnel Rd to an agency.

Did my shopping (though one thing I wanted couldn't be found). Up on to Tunnel Rd. with streetwork being done. Had a hard time finding the address. Finally did only to find out that the agency had moved over a year ago and the phone book still has the old address. Most annoying.

So I went downtown to the Employment Security Commission and got all signed up. Used their bathroom and while enthroned decided to check the time. Guess I hadn't latched it securely because when I touched it, it slid quietly and neatly off my wrist and into the toilet. Well, shit (pun intended).

By this time, it's afternoon and I had to get the car back to Amy could go to work, so I just gave it up and came home to lick my wounds. I did get some referrals from the ESC. One was to Snelling, which only accepts online applications, so I got that done yesterday afternoon. One was an Admin Asst job to call, which I did this morning. And the third is a temp agency which wants in-person applications.

It seems as though most of the temp agencies have moved to the Arden area, so it looks like a foray to South Buncombe is coming.

1 comment:

Barb said...

I've worked for temp agencies and really like doing that. Either you find a job through them, or you can work while still looking for your own job. I used to only accept jobs that lasted less than a month.
One thing I didn't know, and therefore didn't take advantage of, was the unemployment benefits. If you sign up for a temp agency, you might be able to collect unemployment while working with them. I THINK. You can check it out. I always threw away the forms they gave me, but later found out I could have signed up and collected for the weeks they didn't have a job for me.