Friday, August 3, 2012

Vehicles & Ebay

So I got my new windshield put in Wednesday and it's gorgeous -- had a green tint because they couldn't find a clear one. Fine by me. Wholesale Glass Co. in West Asheville did it and there were no surprises and no overages and everything went well. The installer recommended that I get new wipers, too, which I knew I needed anyhow,  so I got some best quality ones directly after leaving the glass yard.

Of course, there had been the drama of the motor not starting when I was getting ready to go. Just a little click click and then nothing. So I pop the hood, check the battery, and bang on the starter motor. And then it starts right up.

Last night at 11pm I went in Amy's car to pick her up from work and there began a loud clatter from the passenger side of the car, connected to the throttle. I got off at New Stock Rd and eased on down the road at low rpm. The oil light had been coming on intermittently for days and I had picked up a quart of oil to put in, thinking it might be the cylinders chattering. So I put the oil in and it still clattered. She got a guy at work to come listen and he says it might be a rod knock (maybe) or rings (I don't think so). So she drove it home on surface roads at low rpm, easing along. We left it at Organic Mechanic with a note and walked home from there (me in my caftan and flipflops). They've said it'll be next week before they can even look at it unless somebody cancels their appointment.

I once had a loud clattering like that in the Toyota and everybody said, oh it's a rod knock. Well, it wasn't. It was a bolt working loose so that a housing was banging. Fixed in 2 minutes.

Last week or so I listed a bunch of 78s on ebay (for MaryJo). About half sold, so I spent today cutting down cardboard, bubble-wrapping, and sealing up packages for shipping. A friend's going to take me to the post office tomorrow morning.

Oh yeah, the TV antenna has decided not to pick up more than one channel at a time. Very annoying.


No comments: