Monday, September 10, 2012

Gallivanting etc

Saturday night I was hauled along to the Town Pump in Black Mountain for the 30th anniversary party. A popular band, Second String, was reformed for the occasion. The reason this is important is that the lead singer/guitarist is Lance, husband of Sabrina, who is a close friend of Amy, whose backyard I  live in.

I don't think I've ever been in the Town Pump before, but there's nothing special about it. It's basically a beer bar though it does have mixed drinks, too (I got my standard dive bar drink, a tall 7&7, which came in a short glass and was really strong). There's a backyard with some seating, down a set of steps which I managed to negotiate at least twice when the heat and the crowds got to me.

The band was terrific. Bluegrass with guitar, mandolin, banjo, and bass. Mostly hard-drivin' stuff with the bassist boppin' in the background, throwing the bass around. I understand that when he has room, he can toss the bass up in the air and play it that way. Sadly, it was too constricted at this bar.

They played a long set and then we all left about 10 and went to Lance & Sabrina's house in Swannanoa to hang out around a bonfire. Sunday was Amy's long work day, starting at 8am, so we headed home around 11:30. A fun time was had by all.

On a sad note, I didn't get the museum job. They decided to hire someone with more nonprofit organization experience. Very disappointing. So --- still looking.

And the weather change means I have unearthed my down booties.

No comments: