Friday, November 23, 2012

For the Eating

I hope all had a nicely stuffed turkey day; I certainly did. I'm home in comfortable clothes with my feet up. I haven't had anything to eat for five hours and still feel full.

Amy, Tillman, and I left the house about 1pm and headed for Sabrina & Lance's out in Swannanoa. I dropped them off and went on to Mary-Anne & Joe's, about 4 miles away off Riceville Road. The three sisters (Mary-Anne, Marie, Mayro), Mark, Joe, and Daniel, and me as leavening, sat down about 2:30 and chowed down on a fabulous turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potato/marshmallow casserole, two kinds of stuffing, gravy, cranberry relish, pistachio delight, rolls , etc. A pleasant time was had by all.

About 4:30 I left there and headed back to Sabrina's. About 10 of us sat down to a veritable feast about 7:30. Six of us had played a game of Apples to Apples in the meantime. There was a huge buffet with turkey and about six or so dishes, including mashed potatoes (yum), and three kinds of pie. I didn't eat as much here because it was "seconds," but it was certainly enough to get the stuffed feeling.

Horseshoes were played earlier by Tillman and Sabrina (she won). After dinner, a big bonfire was laid and Tillman played guitar and sang. By that time, however, I was both semi-comatose and peopled out, so I found a comfy couch and a book. Sabrina's mother, Sally, and I enjoyed a special dessert wine she'd brought back from Michigan, cherry wine.

My contribution to each dinner was a bottle of Mouton Cadet white bordeaux. Not too many wine drinkers but we enjoyed it and it went very well with turkey et al.

I was quite happy to get home at 11pm and take off those progressively tighter jeans.

We did have a blowout on the way home, on I-40 before we'd even reached I-240. I was driving and managed to get us stopped neatly and gently on the shoulder. Amy had a doughnut spare that she and Tillman put on. She'd been saying she needed new tires so the time is now.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Wow, so glad you guys were ok. Scary stuff. Sounded like some good eats at your get togethers. Glad you are safe and tummy full.