Wednesday, June 26, 2013

More maintenance

The a/c isn't putting out very cold air so it's not very useful, especially in this very humid weather. So more repair is needed. Must get it working before the roadtrip in late August.

As it turns out, I had to call the RV Tech for another reason -- the cabover window is leaking. I began to smell mold so I started pressing on the walls around the window and it felt spongy. Took off the covering I had over it and saw that the guy who'd done the reseal two years ago failed to listen to me and used silicone caulk. Double aaarrgh.

Of course, I had told him to use butyl putty and even handed him a roll of it. But he knew best, he thought, so now I'm going to pay to have it taken it out and resealed.

I'd be happy to get rid of the window altogether but that would be a bigger job than just resealing it, so I'll live with it, and I'll cover it up on the inside. I found a thermal curtain panel that stretches across the width of the cabover. That should keep both light and heat from getting in.

The tech and I are both hoping the spongy walls will dry out and be okay. If not, I'll get some of that glue-like substance that you squirt on wood to stabilize it.

The fun never ends, eh?

2 comments:

Mireille Gagnon Moes said...

AAAAAARGH! maintenance is hell! Certainly hard to find good help in any case!

Linda and Linda said...

Lindig,
If you get near a Wal-Mart, get a bucket or container of Damp Rid and set it near that spongy area. That stuff sucks the moisture out of stuff really well...might help to dry it out. Hope you get your AC and window situation taken care of.