Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Update 2

Linda wants to know more about the proofing gig and my brother's sailing plans. Anything to oblige.

The proofing/copy-editing gig came about from a post on our local Facebook page. I guess I replied with an amazing answer because she hired me. She'd written an 80-pg book of what she called "prose poems," which seemed to be little vignettes and commentaries that are all vaguely linked. So, not a big job, but interesting. It went to her editor/publisher a week or so ago. Also, she paid promptly. It was fun -- I love doing that kind of work.

A friend is now working for a large printing company (mass mailing type of stuff), so I may eventually get some part-time proofing through her.

As to my brother: He's finally about to realize a lifelong dream of sailing off over the horizon and maybe never coming back. He lives in San Francisco. He bought a 42ft ketch, which seemed like a bargain but has since required more fixing up than planned. So his intended leave date of mid-March is now going to be mid-August. He's got a crew of a woman named Katrine from New Zealand, who has sailing experience and wants to go home, and Mano, an old friend with no sailing experience who wants to go before he won't be able to (sort of like my brother). There was another guy with experience but he's just gone down with medical problems. First stop will be Hawaii, where bro has friends. Then off to the South Pacific islands like French Polynesia, then New Zealand.

If he's had enough of deep water sailing by then, he may sell the boat and use the money to travel, or come home (either back to SF or to NC).

This is all assuming he survives. I got him a ballcap from the USS Asheville (4th iteration--a submarine currently based in San Diego) as a bon voyage present.

He says he's alternately exhilarated and terrified. Me, too (he's the last of my immediate family).

1 comment:

Linda and Linda said...

Thanks for the additional info. Your brother probably feels a little like we did when we all started FTing in our rigs (although being on the water in a little boat seems more perilous to me). Bet he got the adventure bug from you....good for him !