Monday, September 22, 2008

Convention Report

Today was the first "working" day of the convention, which doesn't even officially start until Wednesday. I attended the Beginning Maintenance seminar, which was very good, but I blew off the second half to attend a meeting with the Solos Chapter president and treasurer as I had agreed to help construct a budget for the Solos. This came about in the annual meeting Sunday afternoon, where (as usual in meetings) some people were in love with their own voices and points of view. To shut them up, I said I'd help do a budget, motioned, seconded, voted, passed.

On a much nicer note, my rig is parked across from a grassy strip bordering a small lake which is sleeping grounds for about 100 Canada geese. They rise up about 7am in three large flights and wing away for the day. About dusk, they all come winging back, splash down, stroll about on the grass for a while, and settle down on the water for the night, bobbing gently. I'm going to try to get pics of the dramatic landings.

Speaking of pics, I treated myself to a Canon Sureshot digital camera, so I now have something to take pics with. My trusty old Kodak point-and-shoot finally gave up the ghost. Now I just have to learn the new camera with its multiplicity of options.

Went to dinner this evening with a woman from Maryland, Margaret, who's also a Solo. She's 71 and a holistic/homeopathic nurse-practitioner, mostly retired, and has come down for the convention and is staying in a tent as her trailer rotted away. Very interesting and nice woman. We went to Gilligan's Steamers and Raw Bar Restaurant on Ladson Road. She had fried oysters and I had grilled scallops. Both were excellent. I tried their Key Lime Pie -- don't bother. A very pleasant time.

Tomorrow is the Advanced Maintenance seminar, which starts at the crack of dawn (i.e. 9am) so I'll sign off for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ciao braon caow, Siamo a SF questa sera. Vogliamo conosciere de la "heavy equipment". Che cosa h'ai fatto? Sounds like you made it to SC without too much adventure. Congrats. Glad to hear you will be in the area next summer. We will come visit fershur. DD has jones for tractors, but when Bleeker offered her to drive his, she freaked. I got to drive it & in low gear it just crawls. Biked yesterday from GG Park over GG Bridge, down to marina below GGB, to Saussalito for Lobster Benedict & ferry back to SF - gudgeous weather! DD likes Nora Roberts too. Take care & send pix. LUVU OFPdF (;>}

imMovable Book Lady said...

Ah, yes, the heavy equipment -- I knew I'd forgotten something. I got to run a track loader. Driving it wasn't hard but controlling the bucket was tricky. I was grading a road, filling in dips using the teeth to drag dirt. Fun stuff but really loud and bad for the ears. I'll send pix when I figure out how to get them onto the Mac etc.