Thursday, September 18, 2008

Movin' South

Left Madison PA on Monday around 11am, only an hour later than planned. Wended my way to Fallingwater, near Mill Run PA. Gorgeous grounds, wonderful gift shop, quarter-mile walk just to get to the house. It really is fabulous, and not as big in reality as in pics; convoluted inside, with lots of little sets of stairs; much local stone in floors and stairs; great terraces, good airflow control. I'm so glad I went.

Kept going over the mountains, 2800 ft 2900 ft 3000 ft trudge trudge. Eventually got to LaVale MD down US 40 and spent the night in the Walmart lot. Next day went out a different way and was in a totally different area, no sign of US 40, wound up on I-68 to Cumberland MD and then cut over toward Harrisonburg VA down US 11. Another night in a Walmart lot, with a Barnes & Noble and many other stores. Wed. night was supposed to be spent at Philpott Lake near Roanoke. It's a Corps of Engineers lake with nice camping. Had all sort of directions but came down 220 (future I-73 corridor) and never saw a sign for the hwy, the town, or the lake. So kept on going and wound up in Mocksville NC in another WM lot.

On the way to Davidson to stay with my friend Diana B, I saw a paddock full of -- CAMELS. No, really! Triple takes whilst driving not recommended. Got to her house about 11am and Harold B welcomed me. She was expected home later today. He helped me get the rig back into a more or less level spot, hooked to water and electricity (I got to turn on the fridge!). I rolled out the awning and will be staying her until Saturday am. Then it's off to Ladson (Charleston) SC for the RVW convention.

TTFN

No comments: