Monday, June 14, 2010

Weekend Update

I blew off the SF bookclub meet -- (a) decided I didn't want to talk about Heinlein, and (b) was having a wallow with cable TV and HGTV. I only get the basic network channels so it was fun to run up and down the channels on their bigscreen TV.

I did go Sunday afternoon to meet a fellow Toyota RV-er at a nearby Barnes & Noble. I even went early to have browse time and managed to get out without buying a single book or magazine! This must be some kind of watershed event, at least for me.

As to the guy, Bill, well, we won't become friends. First we had to argue over whether I'd pay for my own coffee, he being a "gentleman" and "old-fashioned," you see. I won and paid for my own. Then we did the usual man/woman conversation -- he asked me a couple of questions to show his interest in me as a person and then proceeded to tell me all about his life. I got to murmur "uh-huh" and "really" from time to time.

An hour later, we were walking out to the parking lot when he suddenly asked me "are you political? Republican or Democrat?"

Democrat, I said.

He said, "Boy! That guy they elected is a disaster!"

I said, "Well, then, let's not talk politics."

He said, "Where's the KKK when you need them?" Laugh.

So that's the end of that.

No comments: