Sunday, March 31, 2013

Car Found

Last Thursday, after some negotiation and a test drive etc, I bought a 2005 Kia Spectra5 hatchback (so 5 doors), 4 cyl automatic, bright blue, new tires, new brakes, mechanic had just checked it over and said it was good. Gets 25-30 mpg in town. It's pretty high mileage (166700) but runs well. Of course, there are some dings and non-working things but they're all minor. I think it'll be just the thing to run around town in. I have to get it inspected and then go back to the DMV tag office to get the tag but I have 10 days to do it. It even has a rear window wiper. I  haven't figured out the window washer yet, and I haven't set the radio stations yet.

I'm pleased with it. It has a lot of pep and I have to have a light touch on the throttle or I suddenly discover I'm doing 20 miles over the limit. Amy says I'm a leadfoot anyhow.

Got rejected for another job. Usual thing -- great interview, then the email with the stock phrases . . . impressive credentials . . . would be asset . . . but we chose someone else. Sigh.

I was offered an opportunity with a transport outfit in Indiana that delivers RVs and small trucks (like UPS ones), but I'd have to get myself out there on my own dime, take the FCC medical and other tests and pay for them myself, pay my park expenses etc during the orientation (two days), and the pay is 80¢ a mile out of which I pay all my gas and meals and lodging and return expense. They advance half up front but, for example, if it were 1000 miles, that would be a $400 advance with the other $400 when you get back. It seemed pretty expensive out of hand and not very profitable over all. So I passed.

1 comment:

Linda and Linda said...

Just got caught up on your blog...great news on your car. Congrats ! That will be very handy to get around in. Enjoy !