Monday, April 6, 2009

Indianapolis

Left Asheville Friday and made it over the mtns through Hot Springs NC, Newport TN, to Corbin KY, where I spent the night in a truck stop. Sat. I ate breakfast at 6am in the diner and hit the road about 7am, still in mtns with heavy fog and chilly temps. Later the day turned sunny and warmish (in the 60s). Arrived at Beth's house in north part of the city about 4pm. Beautiful old development with huge lots, mature trees, probably built in the 50s-60s. They drove me around on Sun. to look at buildings/houses -- some very interesting examples of gothic architecture with lots of Italian and German influence. Occasional examples of Prairie-style with Frank Lloyd Wright influence. Great to look at.

Beth, her SO Morris, and I went to dinner at a nice Italian restaurant, where I had mussels and then carpaccio on field greens w/balsamic dressing and shaved parmesan. Yum. Had a nice glass of Pinot Grigio with dinner. Sun. we went to brunch and I had crab cake benedict with roasted red potatoes. Also yum. Last night, I was taken along to a fancy Mexican restaurant for a birthday party for a friend of theirs. There were about 20 people and we had appetizers and entrees and drinks, all paid for. Then the birthday singing, flowers, speeches, ice cream cake. Lots of nice people.

I sat next to a woman who turned out to be an internet-only book dealer (mostly ebay at first). She has the knack of finding real esoterica in unlikely places (wish I did). So we had a great conversation. Then a professor of religious studies and I got into a lively discussion about Henry II, Richard Lionheart, John Lackland, Eleanor of Acquitaine, which brought up such subjects as homosexuality and the difference between feudal views of "good" kings (Richard) and "bad" kings (John), and the modern perspective of those two men as kings/administrators (Richard bad, John good). Great fun!

Today I'm hanging out in my rig while Beth and Morris have gone to work. The weather has turned nasty -- 1.63" of rain yesterday and snow today. Down to 20 deg. tonight and still nasty tomorrow. So it looks like I'll just stay here until Wednesday when it's supposed to be clear and in the 50s. Then I'll trundle off to Terre Haute to visit Sharon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad you're safe. we had NO SNOW in AVL & 12" in spring creek BAHHHHHH!!!!!!!
maybe this is the last for the year HUH
miss you
B