Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day on the Bay

Memorial Day Monday: Awakened at 5.30 am by brother, in car by 6 to drive to Napa to the Sea Scouts base. There we boarded a charter bus to drive back to the Bay area to Alameda Navy Base. This first picture is my brother Harland ("Orlando"), his son Alex, and Alex's girlfriend Azure (nice young woman; I liked her). We're on the docks at Alameda.

This next pic is all family: me, Alex, and Harland, in front of the USS Hornet, now a museum.
The white boat on the left is the "Chaser," the Napa Sea Scouts boat on which we'll be traveling. Below to the left are some of the other ships moored near the Hornet. Most of them are named after state nicknames and are ships that fix other ships.




Below to the right is a picture of the San Francisco skyline from the Bay.







And here's the west side of the Golden Gate Bridge looking north toward Marin County. They did a swoop under the bridge just for us.

Then we wended our way to the San Rafael Straits into the Napa River, arriving at the Scout base around 5pm.

Then H drove me back to my rig in a glorified parking lot in Vallejo and dropped me off for some much needed rest.

All in all, a nice day, one I'm glad to have participated in. There were about 30 people on the Chaser, scouts, officers, friends and family.

No comments: