Thursday, May 7, 2009

Tustin to SF

Left Tustin about 11am Tues. so as to miss "rush hour." Still seemed like a mad rush to me. Got to Burbank and realized that's where Dark Delicacies Bookstore is. I've known the owners, Sue and Del, since 1997. Was nice to see them for real again and see their store.

Began threading the Grapevine up I-5 through the Angeles National Forest. The semis and I were grinding up the mountains about 20mph and freewheeling down the other side, over and over. About 4pm I found a Flying J truckstop, realized I hadn't eaten all day, and decided to stay right there for the night. Managed to make the grand total of 105 miles.

Next day, after breakfast, I started 7.30am and cut over to Paso Robles to pick up CA 101. Made it to my brother's marina about 4pm. The security guy rolled around and said campers weren't allowed, but I told him my brother's boat was here and he's out of town till late tonight and I'd be gone in the morning. So he graciously allowed me to stay.

About 9am I got back on 101 to go into the city. Hooray for GPS -- I'm loving this thing. I managed to get the rig up some streets and down some streets, but when my brother wanted me to back the rig up to get it set better, the little four-banger decided it couldn't push 5000 lbs up a hill. So I made H drive it around the block and repark it. So I'm set here in Bernal Heights until Sunday when I'll move to an RV park over in Vallejo, just off I-80.

The street is so steep that I have to hold onto things in the rig to go from back to front. At least there's no fear of rolling out of bed.

Enjoy the pictures.

No comments: