Monday, November 3, 2008

Bookstore Outing

Today the Lindas dragged me up from a nap with the magic words, Let's go to the bookstore, only known phrase that has that effect. Threw on clothes, grabbed bag of read books, and yawned my way through the drive to The Bookworm, Independence KS.

As far as the phone book shows, it's the only used book store in the area. Fairly wide selection (though no lesbian fiction) and much of the titles/authors were pedestrian. Also, there were too many duplicates. She takes 2 books for 1 in trade and you have to pay 10% of the books you're taking. No paperwork so all trade is done at once or you take some of your books back (I took six back). Made sure I got hefty stuff that will keep me occupied for more than just an hour (such as Heinlein's The Past Through Tomorrow and Expanded Universe). All trade paperbacks and hardbacks are priced individually. Browsed all the sections, and she has them all covered, but again, selections pedestrian and slightly overpriced. Didn't find any books on language, though I did find dictionaries.

Ah well, can't expect to find a DBN everywhere (and even it isn't as good as it used to be when I ran it, she said modestly).

One of the problems is that I've read so much that most stores don't have enough different authors/titles to tempt me. Probably why I haunt new book stores, looking for somebody new to read, or new titles by favorite authors. Too expensive to do much, though.

No comments: