Sunday, November 2, 2008

Work work work

Yesterday there was a gathering for those of us scheduled to start this coming week. Mark from Express Employment was there to specify which shift each of us will work and to hand out our badges ( Badges? We need our stinkin' badges!) with a breakaway lanyard (seems Amazon is hyper-vigilant about safety). The first week will only be 18 hours during what is called the "hardening" week: 3 hours the first day and then 3 days of 5 hours; then it's up to 10 hours.

So my schedule from now on is Wed-Sat 5pm to 3:30 am, which means leaving here about 4:30 and getting back about 4am. Probably get to sleep about 5 or so and get up around noon. That's assuming I sleep straight through. What will probably happen is what happened when I last worked night shift -- sleep 4 hrs, get up for 3-4 hours, sleep 3-4 hrs (let's see, that's sleep 5-9 up 9-12 sleep 12-3. Either way will work.

We get paid an extra 50 cents per hour for night shift, which is why I wanted it, especially now that I've lost about $1000 in wages because of the delayed start. However, it also means I'm going to miss my favorite TV show, CSI. And Lady Heather's coming back! And Grissom is going to leave! What shall I do?! Well, my good friends will just have to prepare for being grilled about happened.

The weather's been actually hot here, close to 80. And I understand that the Amazon buildings are really hot; everybody wears t-shirt and lots wear shorts. Hmmm. May have to drag out the summer stuff again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as to CSI, we'll do our best. This past week we watched Rachel interview Barack Obama. I guess we'll catch that one in the reruns.
kisses
B

Anonymous said...

What she said.
Love you,
M-A