Sunday, November 16, 2008

Hurts So Good?

Well, it's the end of my first week of 10-hour days with a day of overtime, so five days. I'm what is called a Stower, putting stuff off pallets into bins so Pickers can fill orders. I walk about 5-6 miles in a shift. The New Balance shoes I got especially for this job aren't doing the job. Or maybe it's that I can't do the job.

At this very moment, I have a cramp in my left calf, the sprained ankle is swollen, the left knee is swollen, and my toes hurt. Other than that, I'm okay. But walking on concrete gives no relief to any painful body part, especially those in the legs.

I do the work, walk the distance, climb the stairs, etc., hurting all the while. When I come home at almost 4am and try to sleep, the legs hurt so it's difficult to get comfortable and fall asleep. Linda S. said it took her almost three weeks before she acclimated. I only have five weeks to go so I'm going to try to stick it out.

And there's the question of whether to do it again next year. The money is good, especially when there's overtime, so it may behoove me to do it for financial reasons. We'll see how long it takes me to recuperate this time.

Hooray for two days off to let the body rest, except for laundry and grocery shopping. Other than that, nothing. Too bad there's not a day spa nearby. I'm thinking of going to one somewhere on the way to Quartzsite, just for some pampering.

No comments: