Sunday, February 14, 2010

Friday 2/12

Friday 2/12 6am

Supposed to be a gorgeous weekend, sunny in the mid-60s. Am thinking about whether to drive up to the petroglyphs site right now, or wait until afternoon to get that warm slanting light. The problem with "right now" is that I really don't like to move too quickly first thing. I like to do just what I am doing -- drink coffee, play solitaire, do crosswords -- until about 9am. Then I can stir around and actually do something.

On the other hand, if I wait until afternoon and want to spend a fair amount of time there, it'll be dark at 6pm and I either come back and fumble around hooking up, or I boondock there and do some morning shooting, too.

What to do what to do.

Maybe nothing. Maybe I'll do nothing today but read the really good magazines I got yesterday. One was the "Oxford American: the Southern magazine of good writing." This issue is the 11th Annual Southern Music issue: True Soul & Other True Sounds." It came with a 2-CD set with one disc of Arkansas music (part of their new State Series) and one disc of southern masters. I played the Arkansas disc yesterday and was surprised to hear that Sleepy LaBeef was from Arkansas (there's no mistaking that voice). The mag has a page or two on each artist, plus other interesting music-related articles. The music ranges from the 1940s to the present. Most interesting.

The other mag I got was Saveur's annual guide to the world's best food. Absolutely luscious photography, much of which will be saved for decoupage (whenever I get around to doing that). I love good food mags, not that I ever actually cook any of these things -- way too complicated, even the ones they label "easy." I did do a recipe once -- potato pancakes with gruyere cheese. See, just two ingredients, one pan, simple prep. And I still only manage to cook the dish about once a year. Oh, you want the recipe?

Grate 2 large potatoes into a clean towel.
Wring all moisture out of potatoes.
In bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss about.
Grate gruyere into another bowl (1 cup)
Heat a little oil in skillet.
Use half the potatoes to make two pancakes and put in pan.
Fry slowly until brown on bottom.
Sprinkle gruyere on pancakes, leaving edges clear.
Use rest of potatoes to make a pancake on top of cheese (press down to adhere).
Flip pancakes and fry gently until brown.
Serve hot.

Yum yum.

Just had a sneezing fit, which may mean that the allergies are going to kick up today. Another reason to do little today. I do want to do a re-sort of the back bin -- I think I'm still keeping too much. Does one person really need 40 bungee cords?

No comments: