Friday, February 19, 2010

Tuesday 2/16

I got chewed out by Kenn today. Seems that nothing is to be moved ever unless he approves, I should stop griping about doing inventory as I don't have much else to do, I shouldn't move the sombreros as it threw off his inventory and he then ordered too many, I should talk to customers this particular way (his way), and on and on and on. Of course, it turns out that Caleb has passed on my comments on whatever, which Kenn has taken amiss.

Mind you, I wasn't asked about my side of the "story," just told how to be. He just assumed that my attitude was whatever he interpreted from what Caleb had said. That's not the way to talk to an employee without creating resentment.

I had words with Caleb later, who apologized profusely and said he hadn't meant to get me in trouble, really. he hadn't. I acquit him of malice but not of stupidity. I'll also be talking to Kenn about his manner and assumptions.

So much for us all working as a team.

For the record, I don't gripe, I moan. "Oh great, inventory of these thousands of pieces of junk jewelry. Just what I wanted to do." And then I go do the inventory.

I never touched the sombreros so I don't know anything about them. I resent him looking at me like he didn't believe me (I don't lie).

I've been a retailer for half his life so I don't need to be told how to talk to customers, which I told him.

I shall be redoubling my efforts to find another job. While this store is much much better to work at than Akela Flats, it's not turning out the way I hoped. Kenn is becoming more tyrannical all the time -- my way or the highway -- which is not what he said it would be like. I passed my 3-month trial period without any acknowledgment from Kenn or the Bowlin management. I've taken and passed the Module One test and then found out that now you have to pass all three tests to get keys and codes (or to become shift supervisor or asst. manager).

Alfred (director of operations) said I'd learn to do the paperwork, would open or close, and in general would have more jobs and responsibility etc. None of this has come to pass. Also, he said I'd get 16 hours a week; when Kenn tried to give me less, I told him what Alfred had said and told him I need 16 hrs at minimum. However, little by little he's cut me back to 14 hrs a week.

I'm not a nagger. These people promised me certain things and I've reminded them once. After that, I just stop caring and start looking to leave.

Maybe it is me, after all.

No comments: