Friday, September 17, 2010

Archeology & Pizza

Got myself cleaned up, then unhooked and off to town about 10.30. I had decided I wanted to visit Casa Malpais Archeology Park, which was an active dig in the 1990s and the town now has tours. I got there just in time and for the 11am tour and was the only person going. It didn't occur to me there would be climbing but it turns out there's a series of terraces up a ridge before you get to the actual living site, about a 3/4 miles hike. I made it about halfway before the knees said "you're going to regret this later."This is at the first terrace, looking out to a grove of trees where an old structure was built called Fort Redondo, though it was never a real fort.
This is up on the second terrace, where they've built a small ramada looking out over the Springerville valley. This is where I decided to turn around.

When I got back in my rig it was noon so I decided to try out Los Dos Molinos restaurant, which Chuck had said was "really spicy food." Of course, they have some spicy stuff, like the green chili and the red salsa, but there's lots to eat that's not bad at all. I had the Deluxe Mexican Pizza, a flour tortilla, crisped, with shredded beef, cheese, chopped tomato, green onion, red chili sauce. Yum. Here's a look at the restaurant, which is filled with things on the walls and hanging from the ceiling.
After lunch, I went grocery shopping for a few things, then came home, rehooked, and took and nap. Woke up from the nap and promptly took two aspirin -- the knees were right.

No comments: