Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Blowing Off St John

Not the saint, more's the pity, but the town I had planned to stay in for Sept. Left the people a message at 8am today confirming my arrival this afternoon. Got in town about 3.30 (actually 2.30 AZ time; they don't do daylight savings). Saw a sign on the main street for the rv park, and my gps was directing me, too. Went about two blocks into a funky area with a mishmash of trailers, homes, rusted-out rvs, cars on blocks, etc. GPS said "here" but there was no sign anywhere and there was no street number (810) -- I found 840 but no 810. So I parked on the side of the road and called the number, got the voicemail and left the message that I couldn't find them and that I would wait a bit to hear from them. Waited about 30 minutes and then left a message saying "never mind, I'm heading down the road."

Which I did, 25 miles to Springerville and pulled into the first RV park I saw, Casa Malpais, which has wifi, cable tv, bathhouse, laundry, etc, and lots of big trees. I was going to pay $200 in St. Johns, including electric but no bathhouse or wifi or laundry, and will be paying $240 plus electric, so it's costing me about $100 extra. BUT it's a nice well-kept park and I'll be much happier here. And there's a store cat, too. As usual, you get what you pay for.

Hooking up my cable for tv is such a pain. May see what I can pick up over the air, but this area is pretty remote so may not get much and may have to do the cable after all. It's 3.5 hours to Phoenix from here (that's in a car at 65mph).

TTFN

No comments: