Monday, September 6, 2010

Old Boyfriend

Well, it went as well as could be expected, though he did drive past the rig while I was sitting outside talking to Margie. Neither of us recognized the other, so he drove on past and went home and called me. I asked him what he was driving and then told him he drove past. So he came back. He only lives about 3 miles away.

We sat and chatted a bit, mostly general stuff. We didn't mention his marriage to Nita, the one he broke up with me for, though I did tell him about his daughter Cheryl visiting me after and asking me how I felt about him now. "You mean other than wanting to punch him out?" was my reply.

We drove over to his place in Eagar -- about 3 acres, and looked at his collected of vehicles, some International trucks, friends' pickups and 5th wheels. He's got a doublewide with a nice porch.

Then off to lunch at Booga Red's (no, I don't know the significance of the name). Got back to the park about 1:30 and sat around chatting some more. A few stories surfaced, including the one about me trying to kill the rooster -- he told me that Don and that rooster didn't get along either.

He's got an elk permit this year and he and a guy will be hunting each day now until they get one or the time runs out. I said I expect an elk steak.

For those who don't know, I met Chuck in Jackson Wyoming in 1972 and it was his idea to move to Tucson. We lived together for a few years and maintained the relationship until 1979. Don lived next door to us (and is the guy in the Wild West photo with me) and we've kept in touch all these years. Now that Chuck is a widower, he feels free to be in direct touch with me. We'll be in touch again for a meal or two.

So the mantra is friendly but not intimate.

No comments: