Tuesday, October 21, 2008

First Excursion


The Lindas kindly took me along today for an outing. They toured me through historic Coffeyville to see the bank the Dalton Gang tried to rob and into Death Alley where they died, along with four townpeople in the shootout. The plaque on the side of the building tells about the shootout and has a mural on the sidewalk of the four dead Dalton Gang members. Major claim to fame of the town.

Then we were off to Independence which has a Wal-mart Supercenter. I didn't need much but it's always a challenge in a new store to find things. There's going to be a carnival in town soon for Neewollah (halloween backwards, so clever). Saw "caramel apples" and "bbq" trailers being pulled into the WM parking lot.

Really annoyed at Amazon right now. Not only have I lost two weeks wages, but when you start work there they ease you into the work in what they call a "hardening" process whereby you only work 3 hrs the first day and 5 hrs the next three days. So instead of working 40 hrs you only work 18. More lost wages. Not only that but the mininum regular workers start at is $13 an hour and we workampers only get paid $11/hr. Is that fair? So my mood is steadily darkening about this "opportunity" but I'm here now and need the money to support me for the rest of the winter and into spring. May make a difference about coming back next year, though. We'll see.

Rain forecast and then chilly weather. Got myself a new pair of velour booties to keep my feet warm. May put up the plastic today or tomorrow.

TTFN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see why someone might want to rob such a bank --- it's kind of like St. Basil's via carpenter Victorian.

May your stay become more . . . um . . . rewarding.

imMovable Book Lady said...

Well, somebody knows their architecture! But I'm not going to rob the bank, I'm pretty sure.