Friday, May 7, 2010

Mon 5/3 - Thu 5/6

Monday 5/3 to Thursday 5/6

Arrived here at Arbor RV Park on Sat. afternoon. I'm parked in a spot that's essentially part of a really wide, large driveway -- it does make for easy in and out, and I do have full hookups. No wifi, though. And there's no bath-house either. Or shade. It's a nice, quiet residential area, but for the price I think more amenities should be on offer. One real RV park's price, though about the same monthly, required so many deposits and whatnot that it would have been a huge amount just to move in ($330 rent, $200 rent deposit, $75 elec. $200 elec. deposit).

Today I went off and got my propane tank filled. I've been doing it every six months but I think I can do it every nine months, since I don't use my furnace or water heater. About the only thing I use propane for is the stove. If I need hot water when I'm not hooked up to elec, I heat it on the stove. And I have a small elec. heater.

Then I went to the closest library, hoping they would have wifi available, but the branch was closed on Mondays. So I went to the closest post office from there and mailed a package to B, and my resume to a local contractor looking for Sat-Sun afternoon hostess in demo homes for three weekends a month. It's not much but it's some money.

Still no jobs with "the company" in this area. Update 5/5 Got an email that they now want to do a phone call of 5-10 minutes re any questions etc. Maybe after that, I'll get some jobs.

By this time, having wended my way halfway across town, I went over to Gabi's and got online. Nothing very interesting.

The toner folk have agreed that they sent me the wrong cartridge, so I'm waiting on the replacement to arrive and then I'll return the wrong one. Update 5/5 Got new toner cartridge. I say new, but there was toner leaking all over so got dirty hands. I'm suspecting that it's a refurbished one. Have boxed up the bad one, went to Amazon to get the attachment with shipping label to print out (hooray for my new printer!). May go off Thu. and ship it.

I'm also still waiting for my package of Modesty Blaise comics, but I don't know how it was shipped; if it was Media Mail it could be another week. Update 5/6 And it's going to be bittersweet to get them and read them, knowing he's no longer with us.

Hooray for GPS. Even though I keep getting the "update now" notice, it hasn't led me wrong yet. I have to say that Abq roads are the worst yet. It's not that they're bumpy but that most curb cuts have deep swales and steep rises, so the whole rig gets swayed from side to side, which makes lots of things go wonky inside. It's not so bad if I can meet it head-on -- I can just go very slowly -- but turning in from the street is usually at an angle. And the speed berms are huge! It means about 2mph over them. I missed seeing one once and everything inside went up up and down suddenly. It even tossed some dirt out of the plant (which rides in the kitchen sink, you'll remember). And the toothpaste and toothbrush leapt out of their holder cup onto the bathroom floor somewhere -- had to root around to find them (and then clean them). It's all very annoyiing.

No comments: