Saturday, January 10, 2009

An Outing

JR and I went to whoop it up in Uvalde this evening. Of course, it's 10.30 and we're home so that'll tell you how much whoopee we created. Liquor laws are so wierd. There's lots of what I would call "taverns" where you can get beer and wine and bring your own booze and buy set-ups (the way it was in Asheville in the 1960s). Here, these places are called lounges. Then there are the private clubs, with a membership fee, where you can get mixed drinks.

Anyhow, we stopped at a little lounge JR had found and liked so he could have a beer. They didn't have ginger ale so I had a coke. JR said, I thought you liked wine. Yes, I said, but only with food. Never mind the dissertation on wines that can be drunk by themselves; they're certainly not going to be found at Ruby's Lounge in Uvalde Texas.

Then off to a club he'd joined, which is part of a motel/restaurant. It has an odd name but I've forgotten it already. Sports bar type place with three big-screen TVs, loud music playing at the same time, and so dark he had to get out his lighter so we could read the menus. He had a ribeye, nice and thick, and I had shrimp stuffed with crab and cheese. All good.

Then off to Walmart for provisions to bring home. I especially wanted to find those clothes storage bags that expel the air as you roll them up; no need for a vacuum. They didn't have any. Then I was looking for a Britta filter -- looked in grocery with the water, looked in housewares with coffee tea pitchers food storage etc etc. Not there. Tired and frustrated, I went through three people before finding the one who knew where they were -- in Hardware.

We headed back, yawning all the way. But it was nice to get out.