Sunday, February 1, 2009

Tools & Such

On the WM run Friday, I picked up two toolboxes, cheapie plastic ones (the next ones up in quality were four times as much money). I've been putting extra tools in the passenger footwell so I thought I'd get organized.

So yesterday after work, I got out the two new boxes and hauled out the heavy Craftsman box. Looked in the glovebox and hauled out a paintbrush, an odd-looking wrench thingy, fuses, bulbs (little guys for auto), tape measure, etc. Decided to leave the tire gauges in the glovebox along with spare keys and a few other oddments.

I now have a plastic box with all electrical stuff: testing meter, bulbs, fuses, cords, etc.

I have another box with miscellany: tape measure, box cutter (a spare went into elec. box), roll of floral twist ties, can of lithium grease, and more.

The big box has all the screwdrivers, wrenches, hammers, nails/screws, and the like.

All three boxes stack neatly in the footwell, so the big box won't go back in its cubbyhole on the driver side. This is a good thing as I'm always looking for weight to put on the passenger side. The design of this rig puts all the heavy stuff on the driver side (except for the fridge) -- pantry, two bins of permanent library books, entertainment bin, office equip. bin, holding tank, and me in the driver seat (hundreds of pounds!). The passenger side (without the toolboxes) had the map/directory suitcase, couch, fridge, kitchen sink, and clothing bins -- not enough weight to counter the other side). The big toolbox weighs about 30# all by itself.

When I get to Asheville, I'm going to use those Space Bags to see if I can eliminate some bins of clothing and linens to lessen the weight some more. Sad to say, books don't compress.

Today is cleaning day for both me and inside the rig. Am holding off on laundry so that I'll have more choice when it comes time to pack for the exciting weekend coming up. It occurs to me that if I can go for 3-4 weeks before having to do laundry, I have too many clothes. But I knew that already.

TTFN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya Sis, Kp occhi pild fr sml box snt Frdy. Lemeno whn it rivs. Snds lk u gt lts fn in ltl twn! O (;>}

Anonymous said...

You are so organized! But I guess you have to be, in that little space. Hey, I'm doing a reading at Accent tonight--I have an essay in an anthology. I feel like a rock star but I reckon I'll get over that.