Friday, August 28, 2009

Brother

Harland came through yesterday, on his way back to SF. Tinnee was along, too. I met her at D's in SF; she's an old friend, and a professional jewelry photographer. They got here about 3pm (end of my shift). After a short rest we drove through Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park so they could see some really big trees. It's a 10-miles drive on a narrow gravel road (Howland Hill Road, the same one I did in my rig). We came out at the south end of Crescent City so drove out on the docks.

Stopped and ate at a truly awful place, Fisherman's Restaurant. They touted their beer-battered fish/seafood, so H and T got some. Edible but only just. H told the waitress (she of the really loud, high, piercing, nasal voice) that the french fries were the best part of the meal. I got the "sauteed" scallops, which turned up in a soup bowl with lots of liquid, shrooms, and garlic -- reasonably edible; I think they were bay scallops, they were so small. I took one forkful of the mashed potatoes and knew instantly they were reconstituted dried things -- ick. And I've been farting really smelly ones ever since that meal.

Then we drove to the Battery Point Lighthouse and looked at it across the narrows. By this time it was dusk (about 7pm) and getting really foggy in town. Came back to the camp, having exhausted the tourist possibilities of the area. We all agreed "there's no here, here." They had brought some chocolate cherry soy "ice cream" (tofu) so we had that for desert (huh. maybe that's what I'm farting). Sat around and looked at photos on our computers and chatted for a while. Came outside and it was really dark! I had gotten them a cabin back in the redwoods, much darker and chillier than in the alder trees or in the RV section.

They're already gone. It's overcast and raining spottily. I'm off to town to do errands, including getting my hair cut and getting a pedicure. Tomorrow it's off to Arizona. 1200 miles. Don't know when I'll be back online.

See y'all later.

No comments: