Friday, August 21, 2009

Found Time

Just before time to work yesterday, Joan called and said never mind coming in. So, there I was with a whole day off. What to do? I saddled up about noon and went north on 101, planning to check out Pelican Bay State Park, right at the Oregon state line. Naturally, I couldn't find it and wound up in Oregon all of a sudden, but there was Criss Field State Park, so I went to check it out. I found it very odd that they didn't have any information on this park but I found out that Criss was the old landowner, and there had been an airstrip there, esp. of use during WW II and later as a regional commuter airport.

Of course, it was a really foggy, misty, windy day, but here's the beach encroaching into the trees.

On a trail back I found this slightly spooky opening into a thick grove of beachside trees and brush. A veritable trysting place.

After that I wandered back to town, taking a new road in (Lake Earl Drive) that promised me I would find Tolowa Dunes State Park, which I've been meaning to check out. Kellogg Beach is there, a wild beach. Well, I wound up in a circular dirt lot, after an amazingly bumpy gravel road, no signs anywhere for anything. Retrace route and go on to town. Off to post office to ship a package. Asked a guy where I could get a good hamburger; answer was Beacon Burger on Anchor Way. Before eating, I went to the end of the dock and got this nice picture of the harbor mouth, looking across to the lighthouse.

And this picture of a groin over on the CC South Beach side, with the fog hanging around (which did eventually dissipate, about 3pm).

Then it was off to feed my face. Fat hamburger, lettuce, tomato, mayo, shrooms, grilled onions. Not bad, but had bacon taste from the grill. Tater tots just okay. Stopped at the CC Feed Store to get farm-fresh eggs (Lady said she only had eight eggs and they're not washed yet. I took them anyhow). Then to Safeway for a very few items, and back to camp.

No comments: