Monday, August 24, 2009

New Job

So I got the job with Bowlin Travel Centers Inc. It's a "manager-in-training" slot, starting at 24-32 hours a week and then up to fulltime. The company offers lots of benefits, like 401K, paid vacation, medical/dental/vision insurance, etc. They also have 10 locations so there's the possibility of some movement. I plan to stay with them for a while, both to replenish the coffers and to take advantage of the dental and vision insurance (I need both).

The travel centers are located along I-40 and I-10 in Arizona and New Mexico. The company headquarters is in Albuquerque. I'll be starting at Picacho Peak, Arizona, which is about 30 miles north of Tucson on I-10. I'll have a full hookup site right at the travel center so I won't have a commute (except strolling over). Good thing I lived in Tucson for 14 years so am familiar with the climate. May have to invest in a swamp cooler for my little RV, and will definitely have the awning cranked all the way out.

The winter won't be bad (70 deg days, 35 deg nights), but after the two weeks of "Spring" in March, it'll get hot really fast.

This will all be retail and customer service work, which should be a cakewalk. Just have to learn their fiddly ways of doing things.

Am due there on 3 Sept. and plan to leave here on the 29th. Will have to avverage about 300 miles a day, which is a full day for my little rig, but we'll do it.

No comments: