Thursday, March 11, 2010

Today

I called another shop, said the words "rod knock" and got the reply "replace engine." So I looked in the yellow pages, saw a shop with an ASE certified master mechanic and determined to go there, driving very carefully, and drag somebody out to listen.

No dragging necessary. Xavier said, let's go look. Took about 10 second to discover that the alternator bracket has cracked.

You remember, the bracket that I had fixed in Deming in October. That's why I discounted the noise as being from the bracket, even though it sounded familiar.

But at least, it's NOT THE ENGINE! And a parts store had a brandnew bracket in stock and so at 10am tomorrow, I'll get a new bracket installed.

And quiet will reign across the land.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Proper diagnostics make good sense.

I hav a Jasper remanufactured in my '71 Dodge D100. It has been a stalwart performer for years. Here's to hoping yours is as well.

bmwloco (you know who)