Friday, October 8, 2010

7 Oct Thu catchup

I'm in Carefree Manor RV Resort, Apache Junction AZ, for two nights (Sat. am will be off to the reunion). Had a haircut at 9am at Margie's favorite place -- the cutter did a good job, really nice for a change after fuzzy cue balls the last two times.

Funny things noticed in the last few days--

Street names in and around Yuma are odd -- Ave 3E, Ave 8-1/2 E

Saw a billboard for the Tier Drop RV Park (near Yuma). Don't know whether they're doing a clever topographical play on words, or just can't spell.

Closer to Apache Junction, I saw the Superstition Funeral Home. Now I know that's in reference to the mountain range, but how appropriate is that name!

There was a big storm that came through the Phoenix area a day or so ago, including three tornados, so there was lots of damage. The wifi service here at the park is down, as are their phones. Hope the wifi gets going before I leave.

Took an hour to putter in an antique mall, to avoid getting to the park too early. Amazing what people think is valuable. And the books! There was one booth of all books, very obviously from a dealer, some really good stuff, properly priced, etc. But the books in the rest of the booths were mostly junk.

I did pick up four soup spoons, silver, from a basket of jumbled silverware. Managed to get the same pattern, even. My two vermeil spoons are wearing away and starting to taste funny, so I've now tossed them (it's real gold plating so I should probably sell them to a gold place, but for two spoons it's not worth it).

Misc. RIPs

Kage Baker, fantasy writer

Louise Cooper, fantasy writer

Donald M. Grant, publisher

Thomas Dietz, sf writer

David Eddings, fantasy writer

Jennifer Rardin, fantasy writer

Edwin Newman, journalist, writer on language

Oh yeah. I just found out that Keith Richards is short! I mean, he's max 5'9". I always had the idea that he was taller, but I saw a pic of him standing next to Johnny Depp and KR was shorter! I was appalled!

Okay, I'm over it.

No comments: