Saturday, October 2, 2010

7000 ft to 700 ft

Left Springerville Friday after Chuck aired up the tires and airbags. Went up 1000 ft to Alpine AZ and down the mountain to Safford and along I-10 to Benson. Stayed at the Escapees Co-op there. Pages of restrictions for owners (who are all white, of course, though this isn't mandatory).

Started off for Tucson (45 mi) about 8am and had breakfast at the Triple T Truckstop on the eastern edge of town about 9:30. Went over to Bookman's and trade in some books. One acquisition was a DVD entitled "Kung Fu Mahjong #2" with a lot of the same people who were in "Kung Fu Hustle," a really fun flick. Then up to the north end of town to the B&N Bookstore for a few new things.

One new book I got is an anthology edited by Charlaine Harris (Diana, pay attention now) entitled "Wolfsbane and Mistletoe." It's holiday stories with werewolves. Now, I'm now a big fan of werewolves, but just listen to the author list:

Donna Andrews, Keri Arthur, Patricia Briggs, Dana Cameron, Karen Chance, Alan Gordon, Simon R. Green, Charlaine Harris, Toni L.P. Kelner, j.A. Konrath, Nancy Pickard, Kat Richardson, Dana Stabenow, Rob Thurman, and Carrie Vaughn.

Now you know why I bought it.

Then I trundled up the frontage road to the Picacho Plaza store to see my old Bowlin boss, Chuck Steinmetz. He's the one I worked for the grand total of two weeks before they yanked me out to go to Akela Flats. He was really pleased to see me. And so was Travis, another co-worker. Chuck and I went in the office and had a good time bitching about the Bowlin management. He's about burned out dealing with them and may be gone soon.

After that I went on to Casa Grande and ate an early dinner, then wound up at Augie's Quail Trail RV Park near Gila Bend (700 ft). Really hot. Ran the a/c until it started the temp climb. By this time it was 5pm and just beginning to cool off a degree or two. Better i should sweat than the rig overheat. So I turned off the a/c and opened the window. Now that I'm hooked up, the cabin a/c is on and beginning to make a dent in my personal hotness (heh).

As you can tell, I have wifi, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of tv here. No mention of cable in the rules brochrue. That's one of the reasons I'm being long-winded -- nothing to distract me.

Off to the border tomorrow. TTFN

No comments: