Friday, October 15, 2010

Livorno H.S. Reunion

I realized that I hadn't said anything at all about the reunion. Perhaps some background first. In 1957-58 I was a freshman at the army school on Camp Darby, near Livorno Italy. I also spent the summers of both 58 and 59 there, and then we came back to the States for good.

There is an organization for all those who ever attended this school, which opened in 1955 (I think) and closed in 2007 (I think). It holds all-class reunions. But there is also the Gray-Haired Teenagers subgroup for classes 1955-1965, and this is my group.

There were about 30 classmates there, many with spouses. It was held in Scottsdale at the Chaparral Suites Hotel (very nice). I parked my rig way in the back and slept in it Sat. night. I enjoyed seeing all the people and hearing familiar names, even if the faces weren't the same anymore. Some people remembered me, some didn't. Of course, most of these people have been coming to these reunions for 20 years, and this was my first one.

As usual, there were the snobs, the blowhards, the politicians, the wimps, the eternal teenagers -- in short, the standard mix. There were a few I enjoyed meeting again, and I think I'll go to the next one, which is to be on the east coast next fall, maybe even in Asheville.

We'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

so you spent the summers of 58 & 58 there. How does that work exactly???????????
kisses
B

imMovable Book Lady said...

Got sent to boarding school in N.C. for 1958-59 school year, and went back to Livorno for summer 59. Mom thought I was too precocious for her to handle.

imMovable Book Lady said...

Never mind -- I made a typo! I got it. Sigh.