Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Thursday 12/3

Thursday 12-3 7am & 8pm

Worked 12-5.30 yesterday. What a simple store this is to work at. Of course, all the stuff is the same, and there's a fireworks section, too. Kenn has worked out a cleaning rotation for the tables, which makes sense. I did two of them yesterday and now I know those items really well.

We did have a little dustup about my hours. He's planning schedules and said, okay, I can have you work all day Mon & Tue and that'll give you 15 hours. No, I said, I have to have 16 hours and that's what Alfred promised me. He began sputtering about labor costs, Carol giving up hours so I could have them etc etc. I understand, I said, and I've been management, but that's not the point, I was promised 16.

Well, you can't really open or close because you haven't taken the test; how about you study for it and take it in two weeks and pass it; then I can give you 16. No, I said, my 16 hours doesn't hinge on anything; Alfred promised me 16 and that's the minimum I have to have; otherwise, I might as well look for something else. So he's going to talk to Alfred and I'm going to study for the test and he's going to find 16 hrs for me.

It seems as though I'll be aiming for the title "shift supervisor." I pointed out to Kenn that nobody had ever told me what the options are or what I had to do to get them. I just learned about these "modules" a week or so ago. There's about 50 single-spaced type pages in the manual of stuff I'm supposed to learn -- employment methods, grounds for dismissal, discrimination policies, etc etc. I can't take it home to study, either; it has to stay in the store. Update: I finished reading the section and said I was ready to take the test. It took me 20 minutes. Now it gets faxed to hq and graded.

The store had a good day yesterday, mostly before my shift; I rang up $26. What a difference from Akela! Update: Today I had two sales, no cash, and did about $90. Whoo hoo.

Warmed up considerably yesterday and a lot of the snow melted. However, Friday's forecast is for 2-4" of snow and really cold, so it may mean I don't get out and get the propane checked and get a new sewer hose and find a wifi hotspot. Update: It's already snowing so I probably won't get out tomorrow at all. It should be in the low 60s by Sat. or Sun, so that'll be nice.

How is it every winter I wind up in a cold place? I mean, Kansas last year, and now here! So far I've been in cool summer places, but I bet Alamogordo is hot, even at 4500 ft. We'll see (or not, as the case may be).

Oh yeah, I'm now in charge of feeding the cats that hang around the store. Kenn and Carol don't like cats so they're happy to turn the job over to me. The store buys the food. I was given three cans of food yesterday, standing out in the snow, and was told that they hadn't been fed in a couple of days. So I slogged over to the house yard and put a can out.

No comments: