Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ah, Sunny Texas

Well, not exactly. When I left Killeen Weds. am it was misty, cold, and there was ice on the windshield and side mirrors. Nasty and cold all the way to Houston, though not as cold as Killeen. This am when I left Houston, it was cool and very foggy. The closer I got to Port Lavaca the foggier it got. I arrived at my funky little campground in Magnolia Beach about 4pm and, though I knew the ocean was just across the road, it was invisible because of fog. It's supposed to clear up tomorrow, at least for a few days.

The campground is funky, as I say, concrete slabs for the rigs (which means level), but bare dirt/sand otherwise. However, amenities include 50/30 amp power, water, sewer line, wifi, satellite tv, laundry, and maybe other things I don't know about yet. The owners weren't here when I arrived but had alerted a camper to watch out for me and help me get set up, which he did (Harold) and another camper (Harold) came over to supervise (no Darryl, though).

Had a great time in Houston visiting a woman I'd last seen in Italy in 1959 when we both attended the Livorno Camp Darby High School. We looked at yearbooks and other photos and played "do you remember?" and it was fun. They took me out for a great dinner at the Red Balloon Cafe, and this morning her husband made me two terrific cappucinos. I'm going to try to make the next reunion near Portland OR in Oct. 09.

Plan to haul out the camera and play beach bum for the next two weeks. Commiserations gracefully accepted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

can we mail stuff to you there?
address please
B