Friday, December 5, 2008

Quitting vs. Giving Up

Thanks to commiserating friends. For some reason this decision has messed up my head. I had really thought I could stand anything for two months. My pride demanded it. My good sense said not at the expense of your health, current and future. So far, the pride is winning.

My last day of work was Wednesday 5.30pm to Thursday 4am. It's now late Friday afternoon. I've slept a lot, rubbed Aspercream into my aching feet (especially the instep bone). The feet are still sore to the touch but getting better. The knees still take careful straightening when standing up. Is this physical condition enough of a reason to quit? My good sense said yes. My pride says wimp.

I'm by no means the first workamper to have quit, many of whom are younger than I. But I still feel wimpish and sensible at the same time. Unsettling.

Maybe I haven't quit; maybe I've given up. Semantics is powerful. Quit = decide not to do something for good reason, after having tried to succeed. Give up = decide it's not possible to do something, after having tried it once.

These are possible definitions but there's more nuances than can be gleaned. One can quit something in a fit of pique; one can give up after battering one's head against a stone wall. So which have I done?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should try thinking of your feet, knees and ankle not as body parts but as living beings that are in your care. You wouldn't let your cat or dog suffer because you were stubborn. You'd behave sensibly and compassionately. Sure, you're tough as old boots, we all know that. You ain't no quitter. You've been through worse than this.

But, jeez, why torture yourself? Aren't there plenty of people you know who'd do that for you? :>)

Smooches of sympathy,
bb

imMovable Book Lady said...

Okay okay, I'm not a wimp, and I have an address book full of waiting torturers, salivating and swacking. But didn't you like my semantic dance?

Anonymous said...

think of this, YOU CAT'T DRIVE IF YOU BEAT UP YOUR KNEES FEET & ANKLES
b
Sending you tons of cushy thoughts to rest your weary self on
hugs

imMovable Book Lady said...

Too true, and driving is a must for an RVer. I'm sleeping 10 hours a day and staying off my feet otherwise. All is slowly getting better. Cushy thoughts are good -- thanks.