Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Loner? Maybe Not

The experience here at this beach campground has taught me a lesson about myself -- I want to be able to socialize at will. This means that I'm not particularly interested in bookdocking in remote areas, beautiful though they may be. Oh, a day or two, maybe, but not longer. I want to be able to walk to places of interest, like stores, bars, restaurants, gathering places. I don't necessarily want to interact with these people, but I need the mental stimulation of seeing different things and people often.

Now, some campgrounds in remote places have stores and rec halls and the like, and that would be okay for a slightly longer time. And I've learned of a campground actually in the city of Corpus Christi TX that might be a good place to be for me (though I'd be sure to ask lots of questions beforehand).

This actually relates to my retail experience over the last 20 years -- I liked it particularly because I had lots of social interaction but the people came and went so I didn't have to deal with them for too long at one time, and then I could go home and hole up. Perfect balance.

So, I'm a loner in the sense that I like living alone, driving alone, being alone. And I'm a social creature in the sense that I enjoy observing people and talking to them, knowing that I can escape to my cave whenever I need to.

I think one of the problems is my rig. A Class C is all one piece so there's no transportation other than it. When I'm hooked up and want to go somewhere, I have to settle everything inside for movement, turn off everything (including the fridge), unhook all the cables and lines. Only then can I go trundling off. I can get this done in about an hour, if I scurry. But it does sort of preclude spontaneous movement. I can't just grab my keys, plop into the driver's seat, and go.

So I'm going to think about how to get a different rig, maybe a 5th wheel, a really small one, that would provide me a vehicle after I get somewhere and get all hooked up. Then I can explore a place without having to plan ahead and take the entire thing with me every time. Another option would be a larger Class C towing a small car, but then I have two engines to take care of and fuel.

The economy right now is the perfect time to get a new rig. RV makers are closing right and left; dealers are hurting for sales; etc. Unfortunately, I can't really afford a monthly payment and the only thing I have to sell is my current rig. If the universe approves, the right thing will come along. I hope.

No comments: