Friday, December 26, 2008

Eartha Baby

I've lost one of my personal favorites, Miss Eartha Kitt.

She's been a favorite since I was in my early teens and heard her sing I Want To Be Evil.

When I visited San Francisco in the early 90s, she was performing at the Fairmont Hotel on Nob Hill. A friend and I went to the show, in a cabaret setting with the stage only raised about 4 inches and the tables crowded right up to it. We sat on the front row and I was about three feet from Miss Kitt. She was battling a cold and between songs would cough and sneeze and blow her nose. but when she sang it was magic.

She was tiny, you know, only about 5 foot or so, but projected huge charisma. At the end of the show she came along the front row and shook everyone's hands. That's when I found out she had a grip like a stevedore.

Time to put on the signed CD I got that evening.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sad that. Ms Kitt was also one of my favs.
when I was 4 I performed as a blues singer for the girl in the mirror
B

imMovable Book Lady said...

Hey B,
I didn't know you liked her, too. We're going to miss her. And I bet the mirror just loved your performance.

Anonymous said...

That makes three of us. I loved her singing voice, there will never be another one like her.

Also, when she was on Batman, I always rooted for her.

love,
m-a