Monday, October 12, 2009

Friday 9 Oct

Fri 10-9 7am

Here's a mountain picture I took on the way back from town the other day.

So I worked a 7-hr shift yesterday and it wasn't too bad. Of course, as I've said, I'm taking triple drugs -- two aleve before work, two during the shift, two later, and maybe one more before sleep. I switch off with extra-strength tylenol or ibuprofen. Everybody's in pain, not just me. Everybody hurts. Is this a way to live?

My mood has lifted with the decision to quit Bowlin. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going to be satisfied anywhere. The application I sent to the rv park in Yuma was bounced with a "no such mailbox found." Wait, I think I already mentioned that.

So my plan now is to work here until they have a replacement and then go to Tucson. There's an ad out for a night security patrol at a rv/trailer park in Tucson that I might apply for. It would be 9pm-1am 4 nights on and 4 off. No pay, just a site and utilities. So I think I could handle a paying job of some sort on top of that. Bookman's sign said they wanted fulltime people, but maybe they could make an exception. We'll see.

Shane had to rework the schedule a little as he realized it was going to leave me alone in the store for a full hour. Today I work 12-7.30, tomorrow 9-4.30, then 12-7.30, then off for a day, so I'll trundle down to use the Apache's wifi.

During my marathon wifi stint the other day, I forgot to download my bank statement and account history, which I need to reconcile and do monthend etc. Also will check KOA and see what jobs are out there.

There's a good paying job in Knoxville, hanging and then taking down xmas decorations. From Nov 15 to Dec 15, then a two week break, and back for a month for takedown. Wonder if I'd like to do that?

Think I'll look into signing up with a national company like Kelly Girls and see if I can get more office-type work. I guess the really physical stuff is getting to be too much for me.

UPDATE 9pm

Change of plans. Alfred, the director of operations, is a smooth talker, and he likes me. So, after some discussion, we agreed that I could work part-time at a much smaller store (hours are 9 to 5 in winter, very civilized). I'll be moving to Alamogordo NM as soon as he makes arrangements for workers to come to Akela.

Also, the RVers Kenn and Carol are going there, too. He's been promoted to manager of that store, and Carol will work half-time like me. It also turns out that she grew up in Alamogordo. They're due to start at that store this coming Wednesday so they'll be gone really soon. All this is happening while Leeann is on vacation. In the meantime, Shane and I will have to pick up the slack and work lots of hours.

Anyhow, 25 hours a week in a small high desert town, no gas sales, no fudge/cookies (hooray!). And the town is growing towards the store so right now it's only two miles to town (way better than 20 miles). I'll make enough money to be comfortable. And I'll learn to do the books, as well. So I'll be doing lots of managerial stuff without all the hassle of actually being a manager -- sounds good to me.

Don't know exactly when I'll be moving (it's about 100 miles from here), but not for at least two weeks (I think).

No comments: