Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sept 9

Set off about 8.30am. Decided to go to Bookmans used bookstore. I used to go there when it was in a little warren of offices near 6th & Campbell. Just before (or after) I left, they moved into an empty grocery store at Grant and Campbell -- one of the old-style "supermarkets" with minimal parking. Anyhow, the store is still there, and they've expanded into other locations, too. They will pay cash but it's minuscule compared to the trade credit. So I tool the trade ($53) and still wound up paying $48 in cash for about 30 books. Not too bad a deal.

I had asked the owner for directions to the nearest Barnes & Nobel and he sent me to the one on Broadway at Rosemont, danged near halfway across town to the SE. There is another one in the Foothills Plaza (NW side) but he thought it would be too hard for me to find.

Lots of street names rang bells so I had no trouble finding my way around. Got about $200 in books at B&N. Then I went across the street to a Target. I wanted a pair of white cotton bermuda shorts. Success? No.

Back down Broadway and spotted Dodge Ave. (used to live at Dodge and Ft. Lowell) so thought I'd follow it north. Debouched into a mall and then out the other side. Stopped at Home Depot and got some quilted foil insulation rolls to protect tires, windows, etc. Dodge proved elusive so wound up going north on Country Club all the way to Ft. Lowell. Lots of Tucson looks the same but the commercial corridors have lots of new buildings.

Anyhow, wound up at Oracle and River to get gas. Also got the airbags filled. Decided to head for the WM at Marana so went north to Ina Rd, turned west and lo and behold, there's the mall with B&N, and, it turns out, a superWM behind it. I took my computer into B&N (free wifi) and had a drink and a sandwich (was beginning to feel a little woozy) while downloading my email (158 messages!). Then to the WM for groceries. And "home" about 3.30pm.

No comments: