Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sept 26

Sat 9-26
Well, just managed to wipe out my Thurs. entry by going too fast and hitting the wrong button. Can't remember what I posted either. Sigh.

My new Blackberry Pearl flip phone arrived yesterday about 4.30pm. Cost $50 to send it next day air! It's very pretty. After I figured out that the phone wasn't to be connected to the computer while I put in the info disc, I plowed my way through the demo of all it can do. Of course, I was interested in the basics, but they were easy to do. This phone is much more like the iphone in that it has a screen of icons you click on with the trackball.

On the other hand, I couldn't figure out how to connect to the internet. The only info I found was for "supported" ISPs and for Intel-based computers. Looks like a call is in order to US Cellular. Also, Mary-Anne had to get the transformer out to charge the phone so it could be activated, and when she packed up the box to send she forgot to put it in. So she'll be mailing that to me (at a regular rate). I can charge the phone through my computer using the usb cable, they say, except the diagram in the manual doesn't match anything I can figure out, so the phone is now dead. No internet AND no phone!

I've gotten Leeann the manager to back off on my hours so that I'm working 6 hrs a day (30/wk), instead of 37. My hips and knees thank her. I also told her I'd be happy to work a split shift and to work late. She said she has trouble getting people to work closing; everybody wants to work the AM shift. I said I prefer the PM shift.

Only made a couple of mistakes yesterday, small ones (like ringing something up in the wrong category. Some things here are in a different category than they were at Picacho.

The weather is fabulous! Mid-80s day, mid-50s night, sunny, dry, low humidity. There's something about New Mexico that I really like, better than Arizona or Texas. Now, down here in the SW corner, there are some mountains but they're small ranges, widely scattered. But the northern mountains are gorgeous (of course, it's a lot colder there -- it snowed just north of Santa Fe a couple of days ago). Las Cruces, 35 miles east, is the 2nd biggest city in NM and it's only about 80,000 people (200,000 in the metro area). Not bad. People just call it "Cruces." That will be my first trip.

Or not. I'd like to get some basic maintenance done on the engine, and I need to mail some stuff. So will probably go to Deming on Mon or Tue. Exciting stuff.

No comments: