Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Oct 4

Sun 10-4 7am

I've been thinking about what I need in a job or place. It's now clear to me that I don't like retail unless it's selling books. I don't really care whether people buy the stuff in these stores, whether it's the nice stuff or the touristy schlock. This is not a good attitude for an employee. I mean, I do my best when someone displays interest in something to talk them into it but I don't really have the knack, and I really don't have the knack of "upselling."

Then there's the whole fulltime management thing. I've been management many times and just don't want that much responsibility (being a hyper-responsible type) as it will stress me out and I'll get hives again. Ick. Plus managers are in the exempt category and get to work any amount of overtime without getting paid for it. Double ick.

Also, there's the loneliness factor. Yes, I'm a loner, but it turns out I want people around to be alone from. At Crescent City, nobody was interested in getting to know me so I didn't have anybody to hang out with when the mood struck, but at least there were folk around to watch or say hi to. At this store, after closing time there's nobody around except the other RV couple and they haven't made any overtures of friendliness. It was some better at Picacho as Chuck and Zee were very friendly and helpful, so I think we would have gotten to know each other. And a couple of the local workers seemed friendly, too. But I was gone in two weeks so that cut that short. Here, everybody has their lives that don't have room for another person. Plus, Leeann and her two sons are three of the workers. Shane has a wife and kid and grandmother to look after. And there's Kenn and Carol, the RVers.

So here's what it boils down to: I want to be among people and closer to a town (walking distance to a grocery store etc.). I don't want to be management. I don't want to work fulltime. In other words, I don't want a "career." I want to make some casual friends to have dinner with or see a movie or explore the area or play cards. And I can hole up when I need to. The job of running a small RV park part-time seems tailor-made -- enough to do so as not to be bored, lots of people (some of whom stay for months, i.e. snowbirds), large enough town to have some amenities.

Sounds like Asheville, doesn't it? However, I'm not quite ready to quit the road and am not sure I could find work I'd like there. But we'll see how this new job I'm going to apply for works out. And I'm still very interested in the carnival-train job, so will pursue that for the future. I certainly haven't found any place I like better, though I do like New Mexico in general (but not the SW part).

Wish me luck.

Obits:
William Safire. Suspect politics but great writer on language and grammar.
Henry Gibson. Comedian, best known for "Laugh-In" -- wonderfully sly.

No comments: