Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Eve

New Year's Eve 8am

Picked up some locally roasted coffee to try and am having my first cup. Got something called Kokopelli blend (dark strong delicious), Piñon (with roasted piñon nuts), and a third kind (also dark and strong). I can tell, however, that they're all South American coffees used in the blends, so there's no earthy smoothness like Sumatra. And the piñon nuts give a slightly raspberry tang. And there's an acidic aftertaste. So I'm not too thrilled, drinkable though it is.

I told you about the "real" bookstore (Hastings). Right next door is a coffee shop called Hardback Coffee (aw, how cute!). I think I'll stop in there and see whether they sell coffee by the pound, roasted there, and what varieties they have. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have both Sumatra and Ethiopia. If they don't, then it's back to WM and their store brand of organic coffee, and they do have both those varieties, so I can make my own blend.

One-half Sumatra (smooth, full-bodied, low acid), one-quarter Ethiopia (nutty, mid-bodied), one-quarter Espresso roast (for bite). Best I've found for all-around flavor, body, and smoothness, stout enough to handle cream and sugar, and the closest to Turkish coffee without all the fuss (first coffee i ever drank, in Libya).

Weather is sunny but somewhat windy, should be in the mid to high 50s today.

Am reading "Grimspace" by a new author, Ann Aguirre. It's SF!!!! Yah! Nice to have a change from all the paranormal/romance that seems to be taking over.

Also picked up two Patricia McKillip books at Hastings -- both used. I no longer buy her new but used is okay. Harrowing the Dragon, and The Bell at Sealey Head. Will undoubtedly enjoy them, though probably not as much as I liked The Riddlemaster of Hed trilogy. And I got two books by Jes Battis -- I think I've probably read one of these before but couldn't remember which; she's pretty good. And I treated myself to a Rizzoli monograph on Robert A.M. Stern, the architect -- it's used (was $40 new; got it for $8) so I can indulge my architectural theory jones.

Wound up working 5 hours, 12-5. Store finally closed at 8pm (I could tell because the outside lights were turned off). Caleb got chewed out for forgetting a lot of the closing things two days ago. I got told off because I took a smoke break and by the time I got back (4 minutes) a line had formed. Now, both Caleb and Carol were at the front, and it was no different than if I had gone to the bathroom, so I felt annoyed.

I'm looking for another job, any job.

Here's a nice sunset pic to go with the end of the year.

No comments: