Monday, November 16, 2009

Late Post for 10-30

Friday 10-30

Forgot to tell you about the Greyhound bus that had to stop here late Thursday (maybe it was Wednesday) because one of the wipers busted and they needed to fix a new one on and needed pliers (!). First Rose and I knew of it was when about 30 people piled into the store, headed for the bathrooms, and then started buying warm things (blankets, ponchos, bajas, etc; asked for gloves and knit caps, which we don't have). Also bought lots of snacks and drinks.

They really needed the wipers as it was spitting rain and snow flurries and was cold. The driver asked for pliers, which I found, but he broke them -- I mean, the metal shaft broke in half. Must have been really cheap pliers. Anyhow, I went and got my toolbox and they (the driver and two "helpers" from the passengers) chose my vise grips and my channel locks and got the job done.

One of the helpers admired my Russian blue stone ring, said his father was a jeweler and he recognized the stone. The driver was very pleased with our service and said he was going to mention it to all the other drivers.

Anyhow, Friday itself was another day of me standing around while Rose bustled in front of me and got almost $800 in commissionable sales while I managed about $150. I find this sort of competition distasteful, which is why I've never liked working for commissions. That was the big problem when I was teaching ballroom dancing -- the base salary was about $50 a week and you were supposed to make it up to a living wage with commissions. But that required pressuring people into signing contracts for more and more lessons. I loved teaching but not that kind of selling.

And RIP, Soupy Sales.

No comments: